Whole Food Challenges
The cool thing about going on a whole foods diet is the realization that even what I considered to be a "healthy" diet before had room for improvement. And when I say improvement, I mean like trash to treasure level!
My weekly shopping trips now had me focused on 1/16th of the store at best! As you walk through aisle after aisle, it's eye opening to realize how much of our food comes in a box! And worse still, how many of those boxes have ingredients that are unidentifiable.
It's hard to believe that eating only real food would present a challenge but it's true. That fact alone helped motivate me to keep going! Aren't we supposed to be eating real food??? So just in case, you're thinking of joining the few, the proud, the hangry... here are my tips for starting (and finishing) a whole food challenge.
1. Meal prep. No joke, decide what you're going to eat in advance and don't depend on any fast restaurant options to save you in your time of need.
2. Try not to cry. Believe me, you will want to cry but no one ever died trying to eat healthy. Well, they may have but chances are the healthy part was unrelated.
3. Respect the process. You may face withdrawals, headaches, tummy aches, etc. (in this case, refer to step two) but that is actually good! You're giving your body a chance to heal and healing can be painful!
4. Be gentle with yourself and find other ways to celebrate or relax. Our culture and habits center a lot around food but a night out or glass of wine isn't what matters, it's being with friends and family to begin with! You can do that with water as easily as wine. Or, better still, try a new class or activity together instead of the same old place. Yoga anyone?
5. Enlist friends! Misery loves company! I mean... the more the merrier! And if your friends don't want to suffer along, find a local group or Facebook page. Not only are there nice people out there but hearing others experiences, ideas, recipes, etc. can go a long way when you're thinking about giving up!
Happy eating friends!